Monday, December 31, 2012

My Petition in Grade 7

When I was in Grade 7 my teacher would occasionally eat a bag of chips during class while we worked on a hand-out assignment. Usually a few crumbs hung on to his big brown beard.

But one day my sense of justice was roused. It made me hungry too so I decided if he could eat  during class, why couldn't I?

I brought chips to class the next day and began to eat when he did. He came over and told me to stop eating in class- it wasn't allowed. I piped up at the injustice of it, and he apologized but it was against the rules for me to eat in class, but he could.

This really rankled. I had the idea to create a petition saying teachers shouldn't be allowed to eat during class if children couldn't either. I collected lots of signatures during recess and planned to present it to the Principle.

My teacher got wind of it and confronted me- warning me that I'd better stop immediately. He was very intimidating and he seemed very disturbed.

I relented and promised to stop the petition.

He never snacked again during class time- I know because I was watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment