Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Beware of "kids these days" generation-bashing

It's a common scene. A few adults having a conversation, maybe over coffee, and the sneering dragon of hypocrisy rears its head:

"I told my son that I had only 3 channels when I was growing up- and he wondered how I survived! We used to play outside, catch grass-hoppers. Kids theses days- no imagination!"

This is the same group that often has detailed discussions about TV shows they watched; how they recently saved money by switching cable companies; how they have a TV in every bedroom; of discussing in horror how the cable didn't work for one day and the unfolding drama involving phone calls and repairmen in their house!

No matter how hard we try to compare ourselves to our children we'll come up way short.

Our children deserve better. They are growing up with new sets of individual and collective challenges. The last thing they need is any attitude from us 'grown-ups'.





No comments:

Post a Comment