Sunday, January 13, 2013

What I Really Learned in School

Some Things I learned in School: 
  • teachers were always careful to 'keep their distance' from us kids
  • detention wasn't all that bad an experience. In fact I kind of liked being alone in the classroom with my teacher, even if he ignored me for the 30 minutes (there may have been one or two other detension-ees some times)
  • that i could be very very mean to one unfortunate girl for one or two grades (it bothers me to recall- oh well) and get away with it
  • that I could tease classmates who excelled at their grades and get away with it
  • that exceptionally great teachers who were passionate about what they taught were equally exceptionally rare
  • that teachers' had fears, like for their reputation or their job, but less so for concern if their students actually learned anything of any depth
  • that teachers didn't have much time for me- not always because they didn't care all that much, but they just didn't have the time or energy, which of course leads to: 
  • teachers were always very, very busy busy busy
  • the clothing brand you wear is VERY important
  • that when a teacher disliked me they were faintly able to disguise it
  • some teachers were perverts
  • some teachers were caffeine addicts
  • some teachers were very interested in flirting with other teachers
  • my principle was very unimpressed that I used the word 'damn' in a part of my speech depicting a stereotypical angry spouse talking to her seemingly dumb husband about the hazards of using a gas stove after a nuclear air raid was in effect
  • that the school library rug was an excellent place to rub my socks and distribute static shocks to my school mates
  • that I liked being up in front of the class making students and teachers laugh
  • that I liked playing cello
  • that a classmate could get 1st place instead of 2nd place by crying and sobbing and generally making the teacher feel very guilty
  • that some teachers liked it when you tattled, but others strongly disliked it
  • that in general most teachers were generally friendly, kind and respectful as far as human beings are concerned
  • that all teachers avoided any one-on-one communication of any significance- and quickly retreated whenever I wanted to talk and get some moral support I craved as I lacked it in my home life

No comments:

Post a Comment